A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scalloped Potatoes to Die For


This is a Martha Stewart recipe and picture (but it is easy to recreate if you use a mandoline to slice the potatoes). I have slightly altered the recipe, but it is the best scalloped potato recipe since my Dad's sunday dinner potatoes. You can find the original on MS dot com, I have included my changes below. Bake as pictured, or individual servings are fun baked in small ramekins, you will need to adjust baking time. Great thing is . . . you can make ahead and bake the following day.

2 T. butter
2 leeks sliced and rinsed
6 yukon gold potatoes, martha uses russet, I use yukons. slice thin on a mandoline
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/8 tsp. fresh nutmeg
fresh ground pepper to taste
8 oz. grated Gruyere
4 oz. Parmesan cheese, my addition
1 Cup heavy cream
1 Cup Chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Melt butter saute leeks until they begin to turn golden, remove from heat and set aside. Mix spices in a small bowl. Begin by layering 1/3 of the potatoes,(slightly overlapping the potatoes) season with 1/2 of spices and 1/2 of the leeks and 1/3 of the cheese. Continue with the layers ending with potatoes and cheese. Mix cream and stock in a measuring cup and pour slowly over the potatoes. Cover with parchment and then foil. (mixture can be refrigerated overnight.)
Bake 30 minutes at 350 then increase oven temperature to 425, uncover and cook until top is golden brown and potatoes are fork tender. Let rest for 15 minutes and serve.

No comments: