A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fresh Pasta


So, my mothers day present from Beep was pasta attachments for my KitchenAid. Camille had gone shopping with Beep prior to mothers day and purchased some Tory Burch sandals, which I have yet to return, her heart was in the right place. The pasta attachments have already gone to good use. I am not sure what that says about my style, but I know I will get more out of making fresh pasta for the family than wearing those shoes. I sort of over did it on the first batch, I made one and a half times the recipe listed in the KitchenAid booklet and it has lasted all weekend. I am including the recipe from the book as well as a Duck Egg version that Carole an I have been making. My friend Carole gets duck eggs at our local farmers market, I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in taste, but the color of the duck egg pasta is a vibrant yellow. Fresh pasta is terrific, tender and light. I remember as a child my great grandmother coming over on Saturdays to make fresh noodles, she was German, we called them noodles, not pasta. It is a tradition we have slowly retreated from in this day of instant gratification. The older my children become, the more I realize the importance of putting a little more time and a little bit more of myself into the everyday things I do for my family. Creating something with your hands and heart that gives the people you love so much happiness is a feeling with which nothing can compare. I highly recommend it! There are so many variations, types of flour, look up your own recipe, try an old family favorite, just do it, find your favorite, make it a tradition for your family.
INGREDIENTS:
4 Large eggs
1 T Water
3 1/2 C Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt

Prep:
Place eggs, water, flour, and salt in mixing bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater, trun to speed 2 and mix 30 seconds. Change to dough hook and turn to speed 2 and knead 2 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1-2 minutes. Let the dough rest covered by a bowl for 20 minutes. Divide dough into 4 pieces before processing with Pasta sheet roller. Cook pasta in boiling salted water until desired doneness. I mixed the pasta by hand in a bowl, making a well with the dry ingredients and pulling the wet ingredients in with a fork. When recreating the recipe one and a half times I did need to add an extra egg and a little bit more water to reach the desired consistency. Allowing the dough to rest under a bowl makes all the difference, don't skimp on time.

DUCK EGG PASTA
This recipe from Bravo TV, Top Chef Masters, Season 1
2 cups all purpose flour
4 duck egg yolks
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup cold water
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Knead everything together till smooth and elastic. Allow to rest 1/2 hour, make fettuccine in the usual fashion. Cook pasta till al dente. Then while still hot toss with sauce and plate.

No comments: