A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cream Chipped Beef (SOS)


Historically known as SOS, based on the appearance of this military staple, it may have developed a bad reputation over the years, but give it a try. (I must agree that it does not make the prettiest plate) This is one of Beep's favorite breakfast foods, that I had to learn to master and make just like his mom made. I think that I would make her proud. Quick to prepare, easy ingredients and heartiness make this recipe appealing, we all know the taste out weighs the eye appeal, which is why I spared you a picture of the final product.

INGREDIENTS:
3-4 Jars Hormel dried beef, rinsed & cubed
2-3 T butter
2-3 T flour
1 small bullion cube or 1 pkg. 1.5oz, MBT powdered beef broth(that is the brand Kim always used).
Milk/Cream, I never measure the milk I just pour and whisk until I get the consistency I want. I use fat free milk, but add a splash or two of cream at the end for richness.
6 or so slices of toast
Fresh Pepper
Adobo, Goya brand seasoning, a staple in our house now readily available in most major markets.

PREPARATION:
I begin by filling the jars of beef with water and allowing them to soak while I get everything else together. The beef is incredibly salty, don't skip this process. Meanwhile toast your bread. Pour out the water and give the beef one quick rinse, pat dry with paper towel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
In a deep skillet over medium high heat add the butter and the beef. Allow the beef to brown slightly, cooking 2-3 minutes. Season with pepper and adobo, go light on the adobo it contains salt, Beep always adds a little more but I think his is too salty! Sprinkle the flour and beef flavoring over the beef and cook until all of the flour is absorbed, about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
Whisk in 1/2 C of milk, allowing the dish to return to a boil, adding additional milk as needed to reach a creamy/gravy consistency. I also add a splash of cream, probably a little less than 1/4 C just because I can. Ladle over toast and serve.

1 comment:

christishoe said...

You always made her proud. Cream chipped beef and so many, many other ways!! What would we do without you to preserve our family traditions? You help keep her memory alive with everything you do for us! Love you.