A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Monday, November 14, 2011

Acorn Squash

A Fall Favorite! I grew up with this squash growing in the garden and my mom preparing it by roasting it in the oven using butter, salt and pepper. She would halve the squash, scoop out the seeds, fill the center with butter, salt and pepper and bake in the oven until tender. This version is a little more flavorful and cooks a little quicker. I love coming back to these childhood staples and creating something just a little bit different. I have added a new twist to "Mom's acorn squash", by cutting them differently and adjusting the seasoning.


INGREDIENTS:

1 Acorn Squash
Salt & Pepper
2 T Butter, melted
2 T Olive Oil
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 C Brown Sugar

PREPARATION:
Slice the squash in half length wise and remove seeds. Continue to slice the squash into rings that are about 1/2 inch thick. Cut those rings in half if desired. Line a jelly roll pan(half sheet, 9X15X 1/2inch pan) with foil. Place squash in pan and drizzle with olive oil and butter. Season with salt and pepper, cayenne and sprinkle with brown sugar. Flip squash pieces half way through cooking. Roast in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until tender.

No comments: