A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Carrot Cake Muffins TWO ways

This is a great carrot cake recipe I have been making for more than 20 years. Back in the day when I was a buyer, one of our vendors sent me a cookbook to place in our stores . . . don't remember if I ever bought this particular one, I think I did, but I found this recipe and loved it! The book is Bobwhite Quail & Buttermilk Biscuits.
When the kids were little I would make it for Easter. I have a bunny head shaped muffin pan that was perfect and we would ice and decorate. Recently, I baked them as regular muffins but still wanted that cream cheese flavor without icing them and turning them into more of a cupcake. This is what I came up with. . . a cream cheese filling adapted from another recipe and it worked beautifully. I have included all of the icing variations offered in the book. I have never tried the Glaze, but now that I have taken a closer look, I may have to try it soon!
I also love that this batter can be mixed so easily by hand.



INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 C Salad Oil, I use Canola or Vegetable oil
2 C Sugar
2 C Cake flour, I use all purpose
2 tsp. Baking Powder
3 C Grated Carrots
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
4 Eggs
1 C Chopped Pecans, optional

PREPARATION:
Grease and flour 3, 9 inch round cake pans, or line muffin pans with paper liners, or grease and flour a shaped pan, your call.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine oil and sugar in a large bowl, mix well. Sift together the dry ingredients. Sift half of the dry ingredients into the sugar/oil mixture. (I don't double sift as it describes in the recipe, I sift once then follow the remaining directions.) Sift remaining dry ingredients alternating with the eggs one at a time. Add carrots and mix well. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into the prepared pans. If baking muffins, fill cups 3/4 full, bake plain or add a teaspoon full of the cream cheese mixture. I did half and half.
Cake: Bake for 25 minutes, rotating if necessary and test with a toothpick. Muffins: bake approximately 15 minutes, I always rotate half way through baking and test a couple of minutes prior to test for doneness. Every oven bakes differently, so get to know yours and adjust temperatures and cooking times accordingly.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 Stick Butter, softened
8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1 C Finely Chopped Pecans
1 box Confectioners Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla, I also like almond extract for a change
I don't put nuts in both the cake and the frosting, I think it is a little overkill.

PREP: Combine butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add nuts and spread on the cake.

CARROT CAKE GLAZE:
1 C Sugar
1/2 C Buttermilk
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 T. Light Corn Syrup
Dash of salt

PREP: Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook until thickened, about 2 or 3 minutes. That is all the recipe says, I am guessing you just pour or spread it over the cake layers??? I will have to try this.

CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
5 1/2 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1/3 C powdered sugar

PREP: Mix cream cheese and egg until combined well. Mix in the powdered sugar. Scoop a full teaspoon into the center of each muffin and bake.

No comments: