A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Neiman Marcus Tortilla Soup

I will apologize in advance for no photo of the soup, I thought I could copy the cookbook cover and didn't take a picture. Guess you'll have to get the book and check out the photo and recipe on page 19.
A favorite fall soup for our family is the tortilla soup from the Mermaid Bar in Neiman Marcus, Northpark. This is not the light brothy style that you may first invision, it it a thick stick to your ribs version of the southwest creation. For our family it is a must have during every visit!
Our prayers were answered when friend, neighbor and executive chef for Neiman Marcus, Kevin Garvin published the iconic retailers first cookbook in 2003, Neiman Marcus Cookbook, and the coveted recipe was now mine for the making.
I always worry when recreating a restaurant recipe, is the scale correct, will it be the same? Kevin did not disappoint, the recipe is dead on! I didn't have to change a thing to recreate that wonderful combination of flavors. The only thing I do is blend the soup with my immersion blender prior to adding the cheese sauce and the cream. The soup at the Mermaid Bar is smooth and silky with very small pieces of recognizable veggies. I didn't get that same consistency without blending it just slightly. I also cheat and use store bought broth to save time. There are adequate brands these days, so I often don't bother making my own.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the entire book, if you don't have it among your collection, YOU SHOULD.
Some of my other favorites are . . . Chicken & White Bean Chili, Poblano Chile & Corn Chowder, Mermaid Bar "Love Salad", Crab Louis Parfait & Strawberry Butter are just a few.
And that is not all . . . Kevin followed up the success of this book with his second; Neiman Marcus Taste: Timeless American Recipes in 2007.
2 3/4 Cups poached & shredded chicken
3 T olive oil
1 Cup dice onion
1/4 Cup diced red onion
1/4 Cup diced carrot
1/2 T minced garlic
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. red chile powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 Cup crushed canned tomatoes
2 Quarts chicken broth
10 corn tortillas cut into small pieces
1/4 Cup nacho cheese sauce, jar
1 Cup heavy cream
S & P to taste
Crispy tortilla strips & fresh cilantro to garnish
In a heavy bottom sauce pan saute the veggies in the olive oil until soft, add the garlic and spices. Next add tomatoes, broth, and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to a simmer, add the corn tortillas and simmer one hour. Stir occasionally. THIS IS WHERE I DEVIATE. . . blend as stated above. Add shredded chicken, cheese sauce and cream. Season to taste garnish and serve. I like to make the soup a day or two in advance.

1 comment:

christishoe said...

Yep. Absolutely delicious!! Thanks for making it. Kept my belly warm many times when you were in Mexico. Thanks for making my trip so yummy and fun. Love you much.