A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pecan Pastry



This is the same filling recipe that is listed in the Pecan Toffee cookie. I really like using it for individual pastries or as a large tart that can be cut into individual servings. Use the blitz pastry recipe, or if you are in a big hurry, use a box pastry dough, I have used it in other recipes, but I will list it individually as well.
The pastry that is pictured is cut with a square cutter approx. 2 1/2 inch for the bottom piece, the top is cut from the same size but with a 1 inch square cut to allow for the filling. To assemble, moisten the outside edges of the bottom piece of dough with a little water and place the center cut piece of dough on top and press lightly to seal the two together. Scoop a teaspoon or so of filling into the small square, I use a 70 scoop. Bake them at 350 degrees rotating once or twice during baking 25-28 minutes. I set the time every 7 minutes or so and just check them until they have puffed and are golden. You can skip all the fuss and stuff some pastry dough into a round 9 inch or so tart pan and pour all the filling in and bake until golden. Slice and serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
Add a touch of Kahlua for extra goodness. FYI: A triple batch of filling will yield approximately 70 individual tarts.

Filling:
2 eggs
1 1/2 C brown sugar
2 T melted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C finely chopped pecans
you can also add a splash of Kalua along with the vanilla flavoring
powdered sugar for dusting

No comments: