A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Monday, April 5, 2010

Luella's Escalloped Pineapple



I wanted to post some hand written recipes from family members who have passed away. Seeing the words on the well worn index card in my grandmother's handwriting is a special feeling, one that makes the recipe even more valuable. Learning to create these dishes, family traditions, passed down from generation to generation, it is the literal definition of COMFORT FOOD. I take great comfort in knowing that I will have these to share with my family and friends long after the ink has faded. Luella, ( AKA, Little Grandma Newman)was my great-grandmother, the mother of my mother's father (follow that one?), I was surprised to see her name on the recipe, because this is a recipe my mom's mother made for holidays. Betty, (AKA, Big Grandma Newman, because she was taller) didn't cook very often, especially from scratch. This recipe is written by her and we serve it every Thanksgiving and Christmas as a side dish. It is sort of more like a dessert.
Ingredients:
1 Qt. Bread crumbs (hand torn)
2 C. White sugar
3 Eggs beaten
1/2 C. Butter, melted
1/2 C. Whipping cream
1 Large can crushed pineapple with the juice
Mix sugar, butter, eggs, cream and pineapple. Stir in bread crumbs. Allow to sit for a moment, bread will absorb the liquid, while you prepare a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake in greased glass or ceramic dish approximately 30-45 minutes. The pineapple will be set and golden brown.

1 comment:

christishoe said...

It would be Christmas or Thanksgiving without this little gem. I remember making it at Mike's place in NYC years ago, for a bunch of his very well travelled, hipster friends.

It was the hit of Thanksgiving!! Didn't quite tell them the humble, yet yummy ingredients. But really, does it get any better than this?

I've told people to serve it as dessert with some ice cream.
I mean, why not add even more decadence??

Love you!!