A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Friday, October 22, 2010

Ham & Bean Soup


Another busy weekend and with Beep arriving home I thought I would make something easy and satisfying to have around the house to feed the crew. I decided to change up the traditional version a little and add some noodles. Beep likes soups with noodles, so, why not? The one twist I was not planning on was Beep's addition of swiss cheese melted on top. I suppose it makes sense. Who doesn't like ham and swiss? I have to admit it was a brilliant addition. This soup will absolutely become a standard in the list of winter comfort food. I just hope it starts feeling a little more like winter here in Texas soon.




INGREDIENTS:
1 Large yellow onion, peeled and diced
3 Ribs celery chopped
3 Carrots peeled and diced
1 T Olive oil
1 T Butter
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
Fresh Cracked pepper
Pinch Kosher salt
5 C Chicken stock
1 C Water
2 Bay leaves
3 Small Ham Hocks, about 1 1/2 pounds
Additional Ham to cube and add to the pot
3 15oz.Cans of Great Northern & Cannellini Beans, I use one Northern and 2 Cannellini
Ditallini Pasta, cooked and drained
Swiss cheese, optional garnish

PREP:
In a large stock pot, heat the butter and olive oil. Add the onion, celery and carrot. I dice mine pretty finely, I like it to melt together and almost disappear.
Season with just a pinch of salt, you never know how much salt might be in the ham, garlic powder and plenty of freshly cracked pepper. Sweat, over medium low, for quite awhile until the veggies are very tender and translucent. Stirring occasionally. Add stock, water and ham hocks. Bring to a simmer and add additional cubed ham and beans. Allow to simmer at least 1-2 hours. Remove ham hocks and bay leaf. Meanwhile, cook pasta, drain and add to the stock pot.
Beep thinks that the flavor gets better the next day, so make it a day ahead if you like. I have to agree, the soup thickens with time and the flavors marry nicely.
When hot top with swiss cheese if desired. Melt cheese under broiler or in microwave on top of soup.

No comments: