A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Friday, February 18, 2011

Brisket Pita

Toasted Pita Sandwiches are a big favorite of our family! It started with my husband and a local restaurant in his home town of Fort Lauderdale, they served a variety of sandwiches in toasted pita halves. I will list a few of our favorite variations. Perfect for kiddos on the go, all the ingredients are contained in the crunchy pocket of goodness! I also make my own pita bread now, it is decidedly more delicious than the store bought pita, and surprisingly easy to make once you do it a couple of times. Come on, you know you love your family enough to make it from scratch! No pressure. For this one, I must confess, I cheated and used pita from the market. We had leftover brisket, add your favorite cheese, condiment and toast away.
I do pre-toast the pita prior to adding my fillings, then place the entire prepared sandwich into the toaster. I have handy little holders on my Dualit that make it easy to fit the pita into the machine. If you are afraid of your sandwich getting stuck, you can also toast in the oven or on a griddle. WARNING: filling will be hot!

 
Posted by Picasa




PREPARATION:
Get all ingredients for your sandwich ready.
Slice Pita Pocket in half
Toast each half just slightly, 1 minute or less, just so it will open easily
Pre-heat any ingredients if needed (tomato sauce, meats)
Spread any condiment onto one side of the pita interior
Stuff fillngs into the pocket
Toast until warm, crunchy and filling is desired temperature 1-2 minutes

Chicken or Tuna Salad Melt
Choose your favorite filling and a slice of American cheese, toast away!


Roman Cheese

Tomato sauce with shredded mozzarella and or provolone cheese. I pre-heat the tomato sauce on this one, no one wants cold sauce. Add some leftover sliced meatball or Italian sausage. YUM!

Ham, Mushroom & Swiss
Bo's favorite . . . I saute some sliced mushrooms, heat the ham a little in the same pan. Then spread a little mayo on the pita add the fillings with a slice of Swiss, and he is in heaven.

Come up with your own and pass them along!

No comments: