A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grilled PB&J


Thank You Mrs. Finley, 6th grade home economics!!! One of our very first lessons in step by step preparation and cooking. I never knew a simple 4 ingredient sandwich could have so many steps. We were required to write out a supply list, ingredients and kitchen tools, timeline and person responsible for each task, ultimately the actual cooking, then consumption and clean up. No detail was left undocumented. I had learned to cook from my mom and dad, but this is where I learned to plan to cook. I had no idea Mrs. Finley would serve me so well.
One lesson I will never forget. . . when given the option during our bacon and scrambled egg class we could cook the eggs in the left over bacon grease or start fresh with butter. Well, my team decided to go with the bacon grease and needless to say our grade suffered for the color the grease imparted to our eggs. I will never make that mistake again, I have been a butter girl ever since!
The grilled PB&J is a decadent treat. One of Beep's favorites. He has always enjoyed the toasted PB&J, but this takes it to another level!!!! Perfectly paired with an icy cold glass of milk, enjoy.

INGREDIENTS:

2-4 Slices of your favorite bread
Peanut butter
Your favorite flavor of jelly or jam
butter, soft and spreadable
Cold milk



PREPARATION:


Heat your griddle or pan to medium high heat. Spread butter on one side of bread and place it face down on the hot surface. Spread peanut butter and jelly on another slice of bread and place it on top of the first slice. Butter the second slice of bread and get ready for the flip. Allow to cook until golden toasty brown, flip and cook on the second side. When perfectly toasted, remove from heat and allow to rest a second or two. This may be the most difficult part, be patient, I know it isn't easy, but you don't want all the warm gooey ingredients to run out onto the plate.
Slice your sandwich and enjoy!

No comments: