A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Monday, December 29, 2014

Boozy Bundt Cakes

This is one of those recipes that has been around forever, but recently discovered by me. Originally known as the Bacardi Rum Cake. Long story . . . I was given a Grand Marnier bundt cake one Christmas, which was a hit with family and friends, but was unable to get the recipe.  (I hadn't had a bundt cake since 1977, it was delicious.)  I tried in vain to duplicate the cake, after several attempts, I threw in the towel, unable to duplicate the texture and flavor. Jump ahead 10 years, and while baking with a friend, she mentions that she is going to make this super easy rum cake for a holiday party.  I knew instantly it was the same cake, rays of light lit up the room, angelic voices filled the air, and the "Holy Grail" recipe I had been searching for was found!
The recipe is simple and makes a great make ahead gift, easily baked in a variety of bundt sizes and flavors.
This year, I made Grand Marnier and Coconut Rum.  You can find a number of variations on line, I have even seen chocolate, but not given that flavor a try, yet.

INGREDIENTS:
 1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (I use pecans and also toasted coconut)
1 (18 1/2 oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
1 (3 3/4 oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding ( I sub coconut pudding)
4 eggs
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. Wesson oil
1/2 c. Dark rum (80 proof)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10 inch tube pan or 12 cup Bundt cake pan. Sprinkle nuts (and toasted coconut) over bottom of pan. Mix all ingredients together and pour over nuts. Bake 1 hour. Cool. Invert on serving plate. Prick top. Drizzle smooth glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until all glaze is used.  I also remove the cakes from the bundt pan, pour in glaze and then return the cake to the pan to soak up the glaze.  Both methods work and are equally sticky and slightly messy.

GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
1/4 lb. butter
1/4 c. water
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. Bacardi dark rum
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in booze.   
This cake freezes well.  

 Coconut Rum 
Grand Marnier Minis

No comments: