A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Greek Cookies "Karithata" or Sands

This recipe comes from my first generation Greek neighbor. It started with Bo's 3rd grade country project . . . extra credit if you make a food native to your country. Bo had chosen Greece, and as luck would have it, I had one living across the street!



I had no idea what I was making, but was pleased to find that these buttery confections were incredibly similar to the Mexican Wedding Cake cookies I adored as a child, but had never quite found a recipe for them that was satisfactory. Cut with a knife for a more rustic cookie or with a shaped cookie cutter, you will love them either way!

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb. butter, softened
9 t. or 3 T confectioners sugar, additional 1/4 cup for dusting
2 T ice water
2 t. vanilla
1 C chopped pecans
2 C flour

Preparation:
I am typing this exactly how it was printed in the book, just because I know some cute little old Greek grandmother wrote it, in parentheses are my corrections.
Beat butter with sugar for 15 minutes. Add water, vanilla, pecan and sifted flour. Knead slightly. Shape with a cooky cutter. ( I roll to about 1/4 inch thickness, then cut). Bake on ungreased cooky sheet in oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Cookies will be firm and slightly browned.
Remove from pan, and place on clean surface, which has been sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. (While cookies are baking, dust a parchment lined shallow baking dish with a thin layer of powdered sugar. Remove hot cookies from sheet and place on prepared baking dish and dust with additional powdered sugar.) Sprinkle confectioners' sugar over cookies. Allow to cool. Makes 30.

No comments: