A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Friday, February 19, 2010

Marvelous Mushroom Bisque

Beep's mom made a memorable cream of mushroom soup, unfortunately she never wrote down the recipe. I have been on a quest to reinvent this old favorite for Beep & Christi and think I may have finally gotten close. One slight glitch, I didn't measure closely while making this one, but it got a big thumbs up from my mushroom lover Bo. I always feel like soup should come out a little different each time. It is sort of like making a salad, you can always add a little of something else and it turns out just fine.
I use a variety of mushrooms each time, it depends on what is in season and what I can find. Any combo will work, pick your favorites. I love visiting F-M 1410, for fresh greens and fungi, it is an eclectic store front with the best stuff.

Ingredients:
10 oz. baby bella mushrooms
8-10 oz. any combination of these varieties:
yellow and black trumpet Chanterelles, shitake, clamshell
1 T. Olive oil
1 T. Butter
3/4 C Chopped onion
3/4 t. dried Thyme
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. celery salt
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 t. Goya Adobo all purpose seasoning ( I use it in just about everything)
1 1/2 T. Worchestire sauce
32 oz. Chicken broth
1 1/4 C Heavy cream
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste

Preparation:
Saute onion in butter and olive oil over medium high heat, 2-3 minutes, until lightly caramelized. Meanwhile, roughly chop the mushrooms and add to the pan. Add seasonings, except nutmeg. Continue cooking until mushrooms release their liquid, when most of the liquid is gone, add worchstire and allow mushrooms to absorb that as well. Pour in chicken stock and allow all of the flavors to release from the pan. Bring to a simmer and add the cream. Blend with an immersion blender to desired texture. I like to leave some of the mushrooms intact. Grate nutmeg and adjust other seasoning if necessary.

No comments: