A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Best Apple Pie


This apple pie originated from an old Florida friend and it is the best I have ever tasted. I love a pie with a double crust, a yummy buttery crust is my favorite part and this pie does not disappoint! The sugars and juices from the pie bubble out and coat the edges to become sweet and crunchy treat. The cream that you stir into the pie at the very end of adds an extra layer of decadence. I even cheat and often use store bought crusts instead of taking the time to make and roll my own.

INGREDIENTS:
2 Pie Crusts
3/4 C Sugar
1/4 C Brown sugar
2 T Flour
2 T Cinnamon
2 T Butter, cubed
3/4 tsp. Nutmeg
3 1/2 C McIntosh apples (4-5) peeled, cored and sliced
3 C Granny Smith apples (4) peeled, cored and sliced
1 egg, whisked with a little water (egg wash)
Large grain decorators sugar
1/2 C Whipping cream

PREP:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place one of the pie crusts in a 9 inch deep pie dish. (I baked it in a fluted tart pan shown above). Combine the sugar, flour and spices. Add the apple slices to the dry mixture and coat all of the slices. Fill the crust with apple mixture and dot with butter. Before placing the top crust you will need to cut holes to allow a place to pour in the cream. I usually tailor my cuts to the occasion. Stars are great for the summer/4th of July, apples, hearts, whatever shape strikes you. Place the decorated crust on top of the pie and pinch the edge closed. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with decorative sugar. Bake for one hour or until the crust is golden and the apples are bubbling. Cover edges of crust with foil if they are getting too brown. Turn off the oven and remove the pie. Gently/slowly pour cram through the openings in the crust. Return the pie to the oven and allow it to remain in the warm oven for 20 minutes. Allow the pie to cool slightly, so the juices will set and the filling will not run everywhere, prior to cutting. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. You can also reheat a slice in the microwave prior to serving, but this pie is much better served warm rather than cool.

No comments: