A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pappardelle with Bolognese


Beep was barely home 12 hours from our trip to Colorado when he had to leave for New Orleans, so I promised to make some homemade pasta when he returned home on Friday. I decided to do a different cut on the pasta as well as our regular thin spaghetti(the kids would want the thin) because I knew the pappardelle would hold up to the bolognese sauce better. I have learned my lesson and always cook something that will hold when Beep is on his way home, thank goodness I did last night. It was stormy in Dallas and he was delayed until 10, needless to say we had a very late dinner. Completely worth the wait!! I think that the sauce is better after it sits though, so it was perfect! I loved cutting the pasta into the wide pappardelle, it is quick and cooked beautifully.


INGREDIENTS:
3 Carrots, peeled
3 Celery stalks
1/2 Large yellow onion
4 Cloves garlic, peeled
1# Ground beef
1# Ground veal
1/2 # Ground pork, very lean
2 T Olive oil
1 T Butter
1/2 C 1% Milk & 1/2 C Cream, or 1 C Whole milk, I didn't have whole milk, so I use what I have.
1/2 C Red wine, plus a splash more
1/2 C Beef broth
1 C Crushed tomatoes
1 T Tomato paste, optional
1 T Sugar, optional, I use it to balance the tomatoes if they are to bitter
Salt & Pepper
Parmesan Cheese

Roughly chop the carrot, celery and onion and place in the food processor. Pulse a few times until the veggies are finely chopped. In a deep skillet, saute the veggies in 2 T Olive oil. Take your time and cook these long and over medium heat so you get really good caramelization. If the pan becomes too dry, add a tablespoon or so of butter. Cook about 20-30 minutes. Add ground meats and cook until brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add the milk and stir occasionally until the milk is completely absorbed, about 10 minutes. Deglaze the pan over medium high heat with red wine and beef stock. I add a good amount of wine and stock because I like my sauce to be a little wet, some people prefer a bolognese sauce to be on the dry side. Do what you like.
Add the tomatoes, along with the paste if desired and season with salt, pepper and sugar if needed. Allow sauce to cool, store in the refrigerator until ready to re-heat. I prefer making the sauce ahead even the day before, the flavor develops as the sauce sits. This is perfect for guests, you will have nothing to do but bring your sauce to temperature, which will allow you to enjoy their company as you prepare the rest of the meal.

No comments: