A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Friday, July 2, 2010

Steamed Clams with Italian Sausage


I'm not quite sure where this recipe came from, but I think Beep and I had something similar at a restaurant long ago, so I think I developed it from there. Regardless, it is fantastic! I don't have any other words to describe it, I am not a huge fan of clams or most seafood, but I can't get enough of them in this dish. Have some fresh crusty bread handy, the best part is dipping into the flavorful broth. Beep has been home for a couple of weeks and having his sis here to help out makes for more cooking and eating at home. Beep found the perfect clams at Rex's Seafood Market on Lovers Lane, they were the perfect size. Be sure to scrub them well prior to placing in the hot stockpot, there is nothing worse than sand and grit in the broth. This is one of those meals that could also be classified in comfort food. Eating it just makes you happy.


INGREDIENTS:1 Pound each Italian hot sausage and sweet sausage, slice into one inch pieces
1 T Olive oil
1 Small onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thin
3 Cloves garlic peeled, roughly chopped
1 C Chardonnay
1 C Chicken broth
1 15oz Can diced Italian tomatoes
4 Dozen small cherry stone clams, rinsed and scrubbed
Salt & Pepper to taste, approx. 1 tsp.
Crusty Italian bread for dipping

PREP:
In a large stock pot heat oil and saute sausage, stir occasionally and allow to brown.
Drain off any grease or use a paper towel to remove the liquid. Allow to cook approximately 10 minutes and add the onion, cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally and add garlic. Cook an additional 5 minutes and remove any remaining grease. Pour the wine over the mixture and allow to reduce by half, 5 minutes. Pour broth into pot and stir, place clams on top of the mixture and cover with a lid. Simmer, covered until the clams have opened. Pour into a large shallow serving dish and serve with bread.

No comments: