A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Sunday, August 1, 2010

My FIRST Watermelon


WOW! I was so surprised when taking the dogs out Saturday morning. I thought it might be a good idea to check the garden. There had not been a lot of veggies produced in the last few weeks, but we had a good amount of rain in Dallas the last few days, so I thought maybe, finally, I would find something. Boy, did I hit the jackpot! There was a suspicious looking group of leaves in the planter by the pool, I decided to target this spot. I carefully stepped in between the vines, taking care not to crush any of the delicate plants. I swept back the grouping of large leaves to find the watermelon resting on the ground. Like a proud parent I cradled it to the patio to rest in the morning sun and ripen to a lovelier shade of green.
I haven't cut it yet, but will post a recipe and picture when I do, maybe a minted vodka infused fruit would be fun. I suppose I could be a good mom and slice some for the kids too.

No comments: