A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Basic Basil Pesto

,  
 One of my favorite summer time treats, once my basil has grown large enough to accomodate. I make it almost daily in small batches. Just enough to have for a quick creamy pesto sauce over pasta or to whip up a quick cold pesto pasta salad with some leftover pasta and a few veggies or stir some into mayo for a quick and tasty sandwich spread. Topped off with olive oil, it will keep for a few days in the fridge, but with a few simple ingredients, I break out the mini food processor and make it as fresh and as often as I can.  
INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups Fresh Basil Leaves
1-2 T. Or 4 cloves Garlic, I am lazy and buy pre-cleaned/chopped from my gourmet market 
1/2 Cup Toasted Pine nuts
1/3 Cup ParmeseanCheese, I use Parm, Pecorino, whatever I have on hand as long as it is good quality!
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Salt & Pepper or to taste, depending on how salty your cheese might be.

 As always, when a recipe contains few ingredients, use the best you can. I reserve this unfiltered and imported olive oil for special recipes.
PREPARATION:
Place clean basil leaves in food processor or blender, pulse a few times to chop well. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and pulse until puréed. Once puréed, stir in cheese. Will keep in a sealed container, covered with oil to retain color up to one week. Can be frozen for two months. 


No comments: