A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Friday, January 16, 2015

Tomato Tortelinni Soup

This soup is my adaptation from one of my favorite restaurants in college, sadly it is no longer open.  Chaucer's in Gainesville, Fl.  They would roast whole turkeys every day and make the best sandwiches on croissants. My favorite soup that they would serve was a creamy tomato basil with tortellini, this is my version.

          I found these adorable mini cheese ravioli at Trader Joe's.  They work great in the soup!  Yum!This soup comes together so quickly.  Literally, about 10 ingredients that I usually have on hand ready to go in about 30-45 minutes.  I do like to make it the day before, however, I find the flavors really blend and improve.  You can go ahead and cook the mini tortellini or ravioli, just store them separately from the soup and mix in the next day when you reheat.

INGREDIENTS:
1 Small onion, about 1- 1 1/2 C chopped
2 T Olive oil
32 oz. Chicken stock
2, 28 oz. San Marzano cans whole tomatoes
1 Clove garlic, smashed and peeled
1/2 tsp Dried basil
1 T plus 1 1/2tsp. Penzeys Italian sausage seasoning
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
5 large fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 C Heavy cream
Salt & Pepper 
1 T Sugar
1 bag 12-16oz dried mini tortellini or ravioli
Fresh Basil & Parmesan cheese, ricotta for garnish

PREPARATION:
In a large stock pot, heat over medium heat and add oil.  Add onion and saute until nicely caramelized, about 3-5 minutes.  Add spices, stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and de-glaze the pan. Add the canned tomatoes, allow to simmer about 5 minutes. 

While simmering, in a separate small pot heat salted water and boil mini tortellini or ravioli, cook according to package directions.  Slightly under cook and reserve some of the cooking liquid.

Add the fresh basil leaves to the soup pot and puree.  Use a hand blender to puree or transfer to an upright blender and puree until smooth.  If using an upright blender, use caution and allow for pressure of hot contents when blending.  I couldn't live without my hand blender, get one, you will love it.

Once blended, add cream and adjust any seasonings, add sugar if needed.  (Sometimes I add sugar to balance the acid, but sometimes it is not necessary) Taste and use your best judgment.  Add cooked pasta.
Garnish as desired and enjoy.






No comments: