A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Kale, Farro & Feta Salad

Well, I must admit, Martha has done it again.http://www.marthastewart.com/1064349/kale-and-farro-salad-feta  A dear friend had made this recipe and one day encouraged me to try a bite while visiting her home and I was hooked.
I must say that I and my entire family had not until this time jumped on the Kale Bandwagon, now we have jumped on and are along for an endless road trip!  This recipe is simple and it is perfect, not a change to be made.  I think the key is chopping the Kale very fine into a chiffonade consistency.  So glad, I gave Kale a chance.
As with most, I always tweak Martha's recipes and I did find her cooking instructions for the farro were slightly off, maybe I just like a little less bite to the grain.  I have resorted to the tried and true taste as I go to get the desired texture I am looking for in the farro.  I also increase the dressing, I have listed my changes in parentheses.
She is absolutely dead on when it comes to the Feta, go with the French!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup farro
  • 2 cups packed torn Tuscan kale leaves (about 2 ounces) (I use the entire bunch of Kale and I chop into very small pieces)
  • 1/4 red onion, finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup packed mint leaves, thinly sliced, plus whole small leaves for serving
  • Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (4 T of lemon juice and occasionally add a T. of lemon balsamic vinegar if I have it on hand.)
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (5 T of oil)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta, preferably French (I buy a 4-6 ounce block and use the entire thing, no measuring required)


DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cover farro with 3 inches of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until grains are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
  2. Transfer farro to a large bowl and add kale, onion, sliced mint, lemon zest and juice, and oil. Toss until farro is well coated. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with feta. Let stand 30 minutes before serving, topped with small mint leaves. Salad can be stored in refrigerator up to 2 days.

No comments: