A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Monday, January 12, 2015

Veggie Slaw

Surprisingly, I came across this recipe on Facebook.  In line with other New Year posts, it boasted cleansing properties.  Cleanse or no cleanse it sounded good and it is!  A big plus is how easy it was to prepare, using the food processor.  I didn't measure exactly, nothing new there, and I did change a couple of ingredients. This is one that can go with the flow.



SALAD INGREDIENTS:
2 Broccoli crowns
1 Head cauliflower
2-3 Carrots peeled
1 Small bunch Kale, stems removed
1/2 C parsley
1/2 C Sunflower seeds salted
1/2 C Almonds, chopped
1 C Dried berries (cherries, cranberries or blueberries)
1/2 C Raisins

DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup ***  I used local Honey
2-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil, the recipe doesn't call for this, but I added it
Salt & Pepper to taste

HOW TO PREPARE:
In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process: broccoli, cauliflower, kale, carrots and parsley.  Transfer into a large bowl.  Add the nuts, seeds and fruit to the bowl and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Make the dressing:  Combine lemon juice, vinegar and honey or syrup.  Whisk in olive oil and season.  Pour dressing over salad, stir and refrigerate.

Crunchy, a little sweet and a little sour, this salad is a great balance of them all.

No comments: