A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup



I love cooking soups, you can be so liberal with your ingredients and you have to work really hard to mess it up. I created this one by reading over a couple of different beef and barley recipes and following the basic instructions, while adding my own ingredients. I use a very specific type of beef that originates from the Amish country near my hometown. (Sources are listed at the bottom of this blog entry.) Do yourself a favor and go to the trouble and order this canned beef, it is perfect for the pantry and has a multitude of uses.  My Grandmother would send me a box of Beef, Chicken and Noodles every Christmas.  You can also order homemade Amish noodles. I blended the recipe on the box of barley with some basic ideas of soup making, so don't be afraid to take liberty with the ingredients.
If you grew up in Amish country, they use this beef for a number of meals.   Beef and Noodles and Bar-B-Q Beef Sandwiches were both standard fare..

INGREDIENTS:
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 C celery, chopped
1/2 C carrot, chopped
1/2 C onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 C, 1 small head of cabbage chopped into 1 inch squares
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. or more, Penzeys Italian sausage seasoning
Salt and Pepper
1/2 C barley
1 20 oz. can Amish packed beef, remove any fat
2 15 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1 32 oz Beef Stock
Water according to the proportions on the barley

PREPARATION:
In a large stock pot over medium heat add butter and olive oil, saute celery, carrot, onion, garlic and cabbage until translucent. Season with celery salt, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the barley and cook 5 minutes. Add broth, water, beef and tomatoes. Simmer about an hour, taste and add additional seasoning if necessary.

This is the beef I use.  I am sure there are other brands out there or you could start with a fresh roast, cut it into cubes
season and brown it in a pan, add 1 C of water and cover, cook for 30-45 minutes and then add it to your soup.
http://www.grabillmeats.com/

I couldn't live without the Italian Sausage Seasoning from Penzeys either!
https://www.penzeys.com/

No comments: