A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cam's Butterfinger Cookie


Ingredients:
1 3/4 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1 C butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
3 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
4-5 regular sized Butterfinger candy bars, crushed ( I use a fork and stab at the candy. )
Yield: 34 cookies with a #40 scoop. I also use a 70 scoop which makes a great size and yields twice the amount.

Preparation:
Cream butter and sugars in mixing bowl. Beat in eggs one at a time along with vanilla. Stir soda and salt into flour and gradually beat four mixture into butter mixture. Mix in crushed candy bars. Scoop cookies and place on a parchment lined sheet. ( Place larger cookies 2 inches apart,THESE COOKIES SPREAD.) I stagger the cookies so they have plenty of room, 2 at the top of the baking sheet, then one cookie slightly below, then 2 and so on. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, rotating half way through cooking. Cool on wire racks and store airtight up to 3 days.

Cam came up with the idea to make Butterfinger cookies. He loves the candy bar and we figured if you can add chocolate chips to a cookie, why not a candy bar. His idea was genius! I first tried adding the crushed candy to the original nestle recipe and they were good. Then I realized that I had a great sugar cookie recipe that might be just a little bit better. I WAS RIGHT.
The original recipe for this cookie is a lemon flavored sugar cookie that was one of Martha's Cookie of the Month recipes. ( Old Fashioned Sugar Cookie to be exact, They are wonderful.) Carole (my cooking partner) and I created an unlimited amount of flavors from this basic recipe, it IS the perfect sugar cookie. The cookie is chewy on the inside and Martha's version is coated with sugar prior to baking so it remains crisp and crackly on the outside.
You can find hers on line under the name listed above, but here is a short version along with some the other varieties we have concocted. Follow the recipe above mixing 1 T of grated lemon zest and 1 T lemon juice (omit the vanilla and butterfingers) in with the sugar for 30 seconds, mixing the remaining ingredients as described above. Scoop and flatten cookies, Martha sprinkles them with sanding sugar, brushes them with water then sprinkles with sugar again prior to baking. Carole and I discovered you can scoop, flatten and freeze. Bag cookies once frozen then dip the tops of the cookies in sugar prior to baking.
Key Lime: same measurements, just use key limes
Coconut: add toasted coconut and coconut flavored rum instead of vanilla
Espresso: add espresso and Kahlua
Vanilla Bean: add granulated vanilla bean
Almond, Orange with cranberry and white chocolate chips. You get the idea, use your imagination and create your family favorite.
Martha's picture, of course, is better than mine, so I am using it for now. I will add the butterfinger picture soon.

No comments: