A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Mountain Bar Cookies

I haven't proclaimed this in my blog yet, but my mom is my HERO! She has done many amazing things, but this was one of those things that she remained persistent about and it was something only a mother would do out of love for a child.
My high school made these wonderful fudge like cookies that I absolutely loved. It was one of those things that when you saw it in the lunch line, it was like Christmas morning! It would make my day. Years later, in my adulthood, my mom surprised me with the recipe! She tracked down some lunch lady and pestered her until she got the recipe. They are not complicated, they are not even baked, but I love them today as much as I did at 15.
Ingredients:
2 C sugar
1/2 C whole milk
3 T cocoa powder
1 stick butter
1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C coconut
dash of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C quick cooking oatmeal

Preparation:
In a medium stock pot, mix the first 4 ingredients and bring to a boil, boil one minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, coconut, salt and vanilla. Next, mix in oatmeal. Stir one or two minutes to cool, so mixture is slightly firm. Drop by the teaspoonful or #70 scoop on to wax or parchment paper in small mounds. Cool completely until set and store in an airtight container.

No comments: