A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Friday, December 11, 2009

Snicker Doodles


Another cookie that has crisp exterior with a chewy texture that my kids love, as this cookie bakes your home will fill with the warming scent of cinnamon. This particular snicker doodle recipe can be found in one of my favorite cookbooks that I received from my mom. The Hoosier Cookbook, has all of those great recipes that I remember growing up, should you ever have a chance to pick one up, I highly recommend adding it to your collection. The book contains recipes from people all over the state of Indiana. The snicker doodle recipe was contributed by Kathleen Ingle of Crawford County. Be careful not to over bake, the cookies will loose their softness if they bake too long.
Like most of the other cookies I make, these freeze great once they have been scooped.

Ingredients:
1 C shortening
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 T sugar
2 tsp. cinnnamon
Yield: 33 cookies with a 40 scoop

Prepartation:
Combine shortening and 1 1/2 C sugar, beat in eggs one at a time. Mix flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually beat flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined. Scoop with desired size cookie scoop or roll into approximately one teaspoon sized balls. At this point you can freeze in an individual layer and bag once frozen or combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and roll cookies in this mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.

1 comment: