A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Monday, December 14, 2009

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


This should tell you something . . . the page in my cookbook, The Good Cookie that holds this recipe is smudged with chocolate. The original recipe has walnuts. I usually omit the nuts, primarily because my kids won't eat anything with nuts. I was the same way as a kid. These cookies are almost like a brownie in cookie form, chewy and moist, baking them can be somewhat difficult. It is a very thin line between under or over baking them. This recipe is great to make ahead, because the dough needs to chill prior to scooping. You can also scoop a few at time, bake and scoop the rest the next day. As with all my cookies, I scoop the entire batch, use what I need, individually freeze the rest of the cookies and then once frozen . . . bag the cookies, label and save for a rainy day. This way I always have a variety of cookies in the freezer ready to bake at a moments notice.

Ingredients:
1/4 C flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
14 oz. bittersweet chocolate (I sometimes use 8 oz. bittersweet and 6 oz semisweet)
2 T unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 C brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C chopped walnuts


Preparation:
In a small bowl, whisk flour and baking powder, set aside. Divide the chocolate into 8 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet and 6 ounces bittersweet finely chopped or semisweet chips. I like using the semisweet chips. In a glass bowl over simmering water melt the 8 ounces of chocolate and butter. Set aside and cool once melted. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla on high about 3 minutes, the mixture should double in volume.
On low speed, blend in melted chocolate and then the dry ingredients. Stir in the remaining 6 ounces of chocolate and nuts (if desired) by hand. Cover and chill dough for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
Once chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Scoop cookies by the teaspoon full or like I do with a #40 cookie scoop. (You can also scoop, flatten and freeze in individual layers to bag once frozen and bake a later time.)
Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheets and bake 9-11 minutes, until cookies appear set. Rotate pans half way though cooking. If you over bake cookies will be dry. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then remove to wire racks. Remove cookies with a spatula. They like to stick!
Store airtight for up to one week.

No comments: