A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Monday, March 8, 2010

Bacon Wrapped Scallops


This is a fabulous appetizer to make for a small group, it takes a bit of attention, so I don't usually make these for a crowd. The original, as well as this photo comes from Fine Cooking magazine. As with all my recipes, I have a couple of additions and changes to the preparation, so I have listed the link above, my version is shown here. One difference is how I marinate, the other major difference is how I assemble these tasty bites. I enjoy the crunch of the water chestnut, but don't feel that two are necessary for each appetizer. This wonderful treat is the perfect balance of sweet-salty, crunchy-chewy and is sure to be a hit!

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbs. light brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. chile flakes
6 very large “dry” sea scallops (8 to 10 oz. total), cut into bite size pieces 1/2 or quarted depending on how large they are.
8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
12 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise, I cut it in thirds thus, I use fewer than 12 strips, I found a half stip to be too long.
24 toothpicks, soaked in water

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place rack in upper third of your oven. Line a shallow baking sheet with foil and set a metal cooling rack on top of foil. I find this works better than a broiler pan. Heat prepared pan in the oven.
In a medium bowl, combine marinade: soy, sugar, giner and chile flakes. Place bacon on a plate and drizzle with a small amount of marinade. Place the scallops in the remaining marinade and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Do not discard the marinade.
Assembly:
Slice bacon strips long enough to wrap around the chestnut and scallop. Place a chestnut in the center of the bacon strip, top with a scallop piece, wrap each edge of bacon over the top of the scallop and secure with a toothpick. Repeat until all of your ingredients are utilized. Remove hot baking sheet and quickly place bacon wraps on the hot pan, return to the oven. Bake turning once, after approximately 10 minutes, so the bacon can cook on all sides, baste with reserved marinade when you turn. Return to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the bacon is brown and crispy. Watch them closely during this final cooking time. They suggest cooking at 450 degrees, I cook them lower, between 375-400. They can get too smokey in the hotter oven, I prefer to cook a little longer in a lower oven.
Remove wraps quickly to a serving platter so they don't stick to your baking rack. Allow to cool slightly, remember, sugar will be HOT! They are great even as they come to room temperature.

1 comment:

christishoe said...

Wait a minute... where the hell have these been?? I don't think I've ever had these nuggets of yumminess. Jeez. I thought the bacon wrapped breadsticks were the bomb, but these might be even better!! Love and miss you much.