A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Blackberry Buckle


This is me trying to use all my constantly ripening blackberries! It also happens to be one of my favorite recipes for summer time fruit. The recipe is from, The Amish Cook, a book filled with great stories as well as recipes. The original is Rhubarb Crunch, but since I am the only one in my family who will eat Rhubarb, I make it will blackberries or blueberries or I end up eating the entire thing!
INGREDIENTS:
1 C Granulated sugar
1 1/2 C plus 3 T flour
3 C Rhubarb, diced, I use blackberries or blueberries whole
1 C Brown sugar firmly packed
1 C Rolled oats
1/4 C Butter, softened
I also add the following,
*1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp almond extract in the fruit mixture
Warm milk or cream for serving, or serve the crunch warm with vanilla ice cream.

PREP:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add the fruit and stir until evenly coated. Place in a greased 9X13, (I use a 10 inch round baking dish.) In another bowl, combine the brown sugar and oats, and cut in the butter to make a crumbly topping. Sprinkle the topping over the rhubarb mixture. Bake for 40 minutes, until the rhubarb juice bubbles up through the golden brown topping. Serve warm with milk or cream or ice cream.
Serves: 4-6

No comments: