A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Howard Ahren's Pickles


One of Beep's favorites, his mom got this recipe from the head of the kitchen at Pine Crest, Howard Ahren, hence the name. This is the perfect use for all of the cukes I now have growing in my garden. This pickle is the basic ice box cucumber or bread and butter pickle. A balance of sweet and sour with a few simple seasonings. I don't do anything different than Kim. I do slice the cukes and onions on my mandoline to make things easy. I peel the cukes, but don't take quite all the green. If you finish the pickles and still want more, simply slice up some more cucumber and onion and add them to the marinade and keep refrigerated up to one week.

No comments: