A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kim's Crab Cakes





Thought it would be great to publish this recipe here. : ) I make them basically the same as your mom, except for the size and I don't fry them in much oil, only about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch in the pan.
For the famous Schuh family way to enjoy, serve them with Worcestershire.

1 lb. backfin lump crab meat, pick over to remove any shell
1 egg
2 T Mayo
1 1/2 T chopped flat leaf parsley
1 1/2 T Worcestershire
1 1/2 T dry mustard, I use dijon if I don't have dry
1 large pinch of dry sage
1 large pinch of dry thyme
salt, pepper and a bit of old bay
1/2 - 1 Cup cracker meal, I sometimes crush my own saltines or bremner wafers
Canola oil to fry



I make the crab cakes smaller than your mom, about the size of a small meatball and then flatten them. Place them on a tray, cover and refrigerate at least one hour so they hold together when frying. Because I make them smaller, I usually just buy regular crab instead of the jumbo lump, it is usually $10 cheaper by the pound.
Mix all the ingredients except the cracker meal. Mix in cracker meal a little at a time, just until they hold together. Refrigerate. Heat oil in a deep skillet or an electric skillet like your mom always used. : ) Fry cakes on both sides until golden, yummy & delicious!!

1 comment:

christishoe said...

I was just thinking how much Mom would have loved your blog!! Can you imagine the people at the Club she would have shared it with? Thanks for setting this up! I love it and I sure love you!