A chronicle of my life in recipes. I love to cook, but more importantly I love to eat. The food you cook and eat tells a story of where you were raised and the path you have traveled. This is my story . . .

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

short ribs

So . . . last weekend I made the most amazing, fall-off-the-bone, short ribs you have ever tasted. I happened to catch a portion of Tyler Florence's cooking show and in spite of my first instinct to grab the remote and switch to Fox News, I decided to give Tyler a chance.
Boy, after Friday night, Tyler may have redeemed himself in my book. Beep was flying in from Denver and it was the perfect dish to hold in case his flight was delayed.
There's nothing too mysterious about short ribs; some basic ingredients, then sear and roast. The cooking method is simple, decent wine, broth and a few aromatic veggies turn a not so desirable piece of meat into a succulent, , melt in your mouth protein with amazing depths of flavor.
As with all my cooking endeavors, I never follow ALL the rules, who does?, so I am including the original recipe along with my changes. Here is what I did: I added one leek, a little less onion,
nix the tomato, I added 2T tomato paste and about 1/4 cup or more of tomato puree. I think the valuable difference in this recipe is pureeing the veggies, they add a density to the sauce. I also added 1/4 C of water and some peeled and quartered carrots and potatoes on top of ribs to serve as a side veggie. I used one of Beep's favorite new every day wines . . .12 Gauge Cab.
I seasoned the ribs prior to searing with S & P along with Pensey's Italian Seasoning. I love the fennel in that seasoning the licorice flavor is yummy. I use it in so many dishes. Check out the recipe above, do with it what you will! Enjoy.

1 comment:

christishoe said...

That sounded awesome!! I sure wish Mike liked his mammal eatin'. I love looking at your site!! It's awesome. Like you!! Keep it up, missy.